Improving the Fedora boot experience

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Tue Mar 12 16:43:02 UTC 2013

If this happens right now, what do users do? They probably take some other
computer and Google and find that you have to choose the previous kernel,
or edit the kernel cmdline. In the new world, they Google and find that you
have to hold Control and choose the previous kernel, or edit the kernel
cmdline.

That said, we need to start building proper error reporting to detect these
cases. It doesn't have to be perfect; catching 80% of everything is much
better than catching none.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Nicolas Mailhot <
nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Mar 12 mars 2013 16:10, Peter Jones a écrit :
> > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:58:05PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > The idea would be to have a positive indication from systemd that
> > we've gotten to some pre-defined point on the previous boot (say,
> > starting your login manager), and not to show you any menu unless the
> > previous boot didn't get that far.
>
> This assumes nothing can go wrong after the login manager is started (for
> example, the login manager hitting a selinux denial when it tries to use
> new features exposed by the new kernel), and that the system is able to
> detect a running, but useless login manager (input or gfx broken by new
> kernel)
>
> Did anyone check the X guys were ok with a setup where they had no longer
> any room for error? They heavily depend on users being able to boot on the
> previous kernel when there is a driver problem.
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot
>
> --

  Jasper