MariaDB replacing MySQL

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 16:59:50 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 02:44 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Norvald H. Ryeng
> <norvald.ryeng at oracle.com> wrote:
>> In practice, this means that it will be almost impossible to install MySQL
>> in Fedora. The recipe in the feature page [1] requires the user to
>>
>> 1. edit yum.conf to set excludes=mariadb* and obsoletes=0,
>> 2. run yum shell to replace the packages, and
>> 3. edit yum.conf again to remove obsoletes=0.
>
> I think that the above recipe wasn't updated for the package rename;
> with the new name, a simple "yum install MySQL" should work.  Honza,
> is that how it was designed?

Yes, the feature page has been updated to correspond with the renaming
of mysql package. Shortly, users will be able to install MySQL-server in
a usual way (yum remove mariadb-server ; yum install MySQL-server).

What is a bit different -- MySQL-server requires "mysql" virtual symbol
to have utilities like mysql, mysqldump, etc. These are by default
provided by package mariadb, so it means MySQL-server will require
mariadb base package (in the same manner as all other packages in
Fedora, which need mysql client utilities).

> The FESCo decision from the minutes was:
>> feature owners are asked to make it possible to install the MySQL stand-alone server (only)
> so dependencies on the client libraries are not a concern; Fedora
> packages are expected to use the MariaDB client libraries.
>
>> Everything that depends on mysql will then require mariadb to
>> be installed, but having both mariadb and MySQL at the same time is not
>> going to work unless the files in the mariadb packages are renamed.
>
> File conflicts within the server packages might still be a concern, I
> don't know.  Per the decision quoted above, FESCo would prefer the
> maintainers of the two servers to agree on a solution.

I believe conflicting server packages are not an issue -- users will be
able to use one or another.

Honza