Improving the Fedora boot experience

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 18:38:32 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 02:24 PM, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> On 03/12/2013 02:03 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>> wrote:

>>> THIS IS WRONG
>> Oh really?
>
> Yes, it is wrong.  We're not talking about just new users here. If
> you're going to hide how to select a different kernel, how am I, an
> experienced sysadmin supposed to figure it out when things go south?
>
> F18 screwed my computer royally with regards to sleep & restore and I
> had to boot older kernels to get the machine stable.   As it stands,
> there were a list of kernels I chose the upper most one which didn't
> have problems...under what people are proposing I'd have to google it
> on some other machine or just mash the keyboard and hope I find
> something that gives me some options
>
> I don't know why people are so enamored by making it difficult to
> troubleshoot problems.

I know it is a simplification, but to me, the two sides of this argument
are:

* remove the hood of the car, and keep it off in case something goes
wrong, or to entice new drivers to look in there and guess what is going on.
* keep the hood of the car on, and if something goes wrong, pop it. If
the driver wants to tweak, or have a look around let them pull the lever
and pop the hood.

--ryanlerch