Improving the Fedora boot experience

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Mar 12 18:36:56 UTC 2013

Am 12.03.2013 19:31, schrieb Peter Jones:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 07:17:26PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 12.03.2013 18:51, schrieb Peter Jones:
>>> So I'd really rather have it so that /under normal circumstances/, if the
>>> user wants the non-default kernel or parameters, they tell us so before
>>> rebooting
>>
>> /under normal circumstances/ you do not often need this
>> and if booting fails comepletly after kernel-update
>> you have no mechnism to guess/write/store/say that it
>> is needed
>
> What?  Of course I do - I've got no indication that booting succeeded

what what?

"they tell us so before rebooting"
how do you imagine this?
how should i smell if i want to boot the old kernel after
a kerne-update and before i try to boot the new one?

hpw do you imagine the system to smell booting the new
one has failed? if it fails it will hopefully not remount
the rootfs RW (if it would be possible at this time)
and write something to disk so that the next reboot knows
"hmm something went wrong, we boot the old one"

sorry, i have no other words for this discussion as braindead