Improving the Fedora boot experience

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 19:12:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 07:36:56PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> hpw do you imagine the system to smell booting the new
> one has failed? if it fails it will hopefully not remount
> the rootfs RW (if it would be possible at this time)
> and write something to disk so that the next reboot knows
> "hmm something went wrong, we boot the old one"

That's why, as I said upthread, we need a /positive assertion that the
system has booted/.  We obviously won't get an indication of failure,
and nobody is suggesting that we should.  But during grub2, we can flag
that we've started booting, and later we can note success.  If grub2
starts and sees the first but not the second, we know there's been a
failure, and we can react as such.

> sorry, i have no other words for this discussion as braindead

Indeed.

--
        Peter