Improving the Fedora boot experience

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 22:13:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 22:37 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 12.03.2013 22:34, schrieb Simo Sorce:
> > I reboot VMs a lot for development, 2 seconds do make a difference
>
> Bruhahaha
>
> 100 reboots = 200 seconds = 3.3 Minutes more for 100 reboots
> well, i boot probably more VMs you have ever seen BUT if two
> seconds are really counting you are doing something terrible
> wrong and should take a deep breat and a coffee

Wehn  you spin 100 Vms at the same time and do not care when they come
up you are not in teh same situationa s someone doing development and
waiting doing nothing on the particular VM he is testing.

I do not laugh at your needs, avoid laughing at those of the others just
because they are different than yours.

Point is, you always have a way to recoonfigure your syustem the way you
like because if you areally are spinning hundreds of VMs then you
kickstart your stuff and change the conf the way you like it best.

Why should the default configuration be ugly, slow, and biased toward
handling the odd case when things break ?

When things break you either know how to fix them already or you need to
search around or get help anyway. Searching how to break into boot is
not going to make your life more misearable than it already is given
your machine is not booting anyway.

You are basically asking to optimze for the wrong case.

Please top whining and look at things in perspective.

The default case is taht things do work and everything is smooth. So
that's what you optimize for.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York