Improving the Fedora boot experience

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 12 22:52:40 UTC 2013

Le Mar 12 mars 2013 19:04, Peter Jones a écrit :

> Obviously we need to do a good job of making sure we tolerate failures,
> and there are multiple ways to do this - if you reboot N times within M
> seconds or somesuch might be a worthwhile heuristic.

By definition an heuristic is unreliable. The current mechanism, while
not-pretty, is reliable. Reliability is the major property you want in any
rescue system. (that's why safety jackets use flashy unfashionable colors)

The last house of cards built on such heuristics was kudzu, and everyone
hated it with a deep passion.

--
Nicolas Mailhot