Improving the Fedora boot experience

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Wed Mar 13 05:25:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>wrote:

> On 03/13/2013 01:32 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
>> On 03/12/2013 07:24 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>
>>> I am saying this because I agree. To me the proposal (not the original
>>> but some point in the the 500 ms boot time "ideal" ) seemed very much
>>> a welded shut view. And as someone who has to worked on welded shut
>>> computers for asthetic reasons.. it brings out the fighting urge in
>>> me.
>>>

>> Did you guys actually read the blog post? Is aesthetics cited in any of
>> the reasons for hiding the menu? No, it's not. These were the reasons I
>> cited in favor of the proposal to hide the menu:
>>

>  - We used to suppress the boot menu by default in earlier releases and
>> its suppression didn’t cause major problems.
>>
> Well, at least for me, re-activating has always been a part of the routine
> after-install cleanup job, ever since I am using RH-based distros.
>
>  - Not listening for keypresses doesn’t probe USB, meaning not waiting
>> for keypresses will make boot even faster since we won’t have to
>> load/probe USB.
>>
> Is this of any importance? Non-USB-equipped systems are rare to find these
> days, so loading/probing USB will be inevitable in the majority of cases.

Right now, we're probing USB twice -- one in the initrd, and once when the
real kernel starts up. Making the boot menu optional will remove one of
those probes.

 -  (Nobody explicitly stated this, but) Displaying information geared
> towards power users by default is intimidating / confusing to
> less-knowledgeable users."

I'd call this to be an urban legend. A boot menu is self-explanatory, even
> to new-comers.
>
> It may baffle them when they see it for the first time, but will very soon
> get used to it.

For me, personally, I remember it being uncomforting and scary.

>  Please be fair.
>>

> Please do so - I feel you are trying to solve a non-issue.
>
> Ralf
>

> --

  Jasper