Improving the Fedora boot experience

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 13 05:50:02 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 06:25 AM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de

>     -  (Nobody explicitly stated this, but) Displaying information geared
>     towards power users by default is intimidating / confusing to
>     less-knowledgeable users."
>
>     I'd call this to be an urban legend. A boot menu is
>     self-explanatory, even to new-comers.
>
>     It may baffle them when they see it for the first time, but will
>     very soon get used to it.
>

> For me, personally, I remember it being uncomforting and scary.

And what did you do? I suppose, you pressed "Enter" rsp. did nothing and
watched the timeout to hit? Was it a real problem? I guess, no.
(I am also removing quiet and rhgb, because they hide away a lot of
useful information in case of errors).

Also, I wonder how you managed to install Fedora, because the installer
comes with much more scary questions, such as "keyboard selection" (Some
languages have several alternatives) or "timezone".

Or consider disk-formatting: Having experience all kind of bugs and
deficiencies with it over the 20 years, I am using Linux, this really
scares me - "What will happen? Will it blow away windows, ubuntu,
openSUSE, the older Fedora installation I want to keep as fallback? Will
it offer multibooting at all rsp. will it boot at all?

Ralf