Fwd: MariaDB replacing MySQL

Norvald H. Ryeng norvald.ryeng at oracle.com
Wed Mar 13 08:43:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:31:46 +0100, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:

> Norvald H. Ryeng wrote:
>> This dependency is a problem. It makes it impossible to install
>> MySQL-server on a KDE system since mariadb-server and MySQL-server
>> conflict.
>
> That just shows how broken it is to have both in Fedora at the same time.

The current solution is broken, but I hope we can find a way to have both.

> We need to make sure that
> 1. the live CD composes don't fail due to conflicts and
> 2. our users get the default database flavor, not a random one,
> and I don't see any other way to enforce this than to require
> mariadb-server directly.

Are you saying that you would always like to have one particular server
implementation, or could you depend on a common provide and let the user
choose one or the other (as long as the default situation is solved)? This
will influence the possibilities we have wrt. server packaging:

  - If your answer is that you would like akonadi-mysql to always choose
MariaDB or MySQL (no user choice), we have to make MariaDB and MySQL
parallel installable.

  - If you are happy with either implementation (default, or changed
manually by the user), we can have conflicting MariaDB and MySQL packages.

Regards,

Norvald H. Ryeng