f19 mass branching

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:09:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dne 12.3.2013 16:30, Dennis Gilmore napsal(a):

>> Hi All,
>>
>> F19 has been branched, please be sure to do a git pull --rebase to pick
>> up the new branch, additionally rawhide/f20 has had inheritance cut off
>> from previous releases,  so this means that anything you do for f19 you
>> also have to do in the master branch and do a build there.
>

> Why was it cut off so soon actually? The reason for disabling inheritance
> was due to Bodhi updates, which might not go stable, if I remember
> correctly, but Bodhi is not in action yet I suppose, so the cut of was too
> soon IMO. Could you please reconsider it? Thank you.

No, branching is the correct time to do it. Mandated tagging through
koji and inheritance are completely unrelated. At the moment koji tags
the packages straight into f19 rather than tagging to
f19-updates-candidate and having bodhi deal with the tagging.

Inheritance only affect whether something is built in f19 is inherited
through to rawhide. There was a discussion some time ago about this so
presumably this change was either a decision by release engineering or
FESCo.

Peter