Improving the Fedora boot experience

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 10:50:47 UTC 2013

On 12 March 2013 22:13, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:

> Why should the default configuration be ugly, slow, and biased toward
> handling the odd case when things break ?

I confess I've only been lightly skimming this entire deeply
interesting thread, on which more man hours have almost certainly now
been spent than will ever be taken by a boot delay in grub, however I
did get the impression that 'ugly' is actually a series of fixable
bugs and not the inevitable result of making it apparent to a user
that the boot sequence can be interrupted and changed if the machine
is in trouble.

Further, aside from the 'broken' boot problem (and lots of people on
this devel list will have much easier access to multiple computers to
look things up in that case than the average user), there is also the
case where people are asked to change boot parameters to help try and
debug problems that do not directly result in the machine not booting.
Now in that case you can tell them how to do it, but why not make it
simple rather than requiring hair trigger reflexes to catch the right
key at the right moment (and again, that's harder for someone who is
not used to messing about with booting and the timings and sequences
involved).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk