Unhelpful update descriptions

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Wed Mar 13 13:22:52 UTC 2013

> From: Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>
>
> On 03/12/2013 08:17 PM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> > What is the point of the RPM changelog then?
>
> RPM changelog is for packaging changes.  Bodhi update notes are for the
> user.  They are not merely redundant copies of the same information.

I see both sides of this argument.  When I have my admin hat on, I really
don't want to have to consult bodhi, which requires a net connection when
I could simply do an 'rpm -q --changelog foo'.  However, with my dev hat
on, I can see the argument the other way.  In my local packaging, my rpm
changelogs are a mixture.  If V is bumped the changelog describes the
diffs between the new V and the old V.  If R is bumped, the changelog most
likely describes something that changed in the spec only.

That's me and what I feel is proper (for local packaging) though. However,
I would strongly suggest that if Fedora policy is to have the rpm
changelog only cover R changes and not V changes, let's please amend this
bit to make it much more explicit and clear to the reader, perhaps even
providing the bodhi URL:

man rpm(8)

PACKAGE QUERY OPTIONS:
       --changelog
              Display change information for the package.

--
John Florian