Improving the Fedora boot experience

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Wed Mar 13 13:42:38 UTC 2013

> From: Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
>
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 12:19 PM, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> >
> > I personally could not care less about the defaults Fedora uses.
> I've been overriding them for years. I'm just glad I was able to
> learn these things before everything became hidden.
>
> Because, naturally, you don't explore, find, or learn anything
> hidden.

No, I do find it, but at considerable expense sometimes which only
decreases the value I find in any such system, Fedora or otherwise.

> >  Today's youth have none of the curiosity that I and my friends
> had at their age and I blame it on this "you don't need to know how
> it works" mentality that is infecting everything.
>
> Oh that's original. Your parents and grandparents never, ever said
> anything like this.

They never said it to me.  They encouraged my exploration despite
situations where I maybe I should have been held back, but I learned and
yes sometimes the very hard way.  I see that way being replaced with fear,
apprehension and avoidance; just be a consumer and stop trying to be a
producer.  From my POV, it's a sad progression, but hey that's just me and
my screwed up perspective.

> >  If you really want that Apple experience, why don't you just use
> their goods?
>
> I do. Curious, isn't it, how I managed to stumble into linux boot
> chance of seeing such things? They weren't merely hidden from me.
> They didn't even exist.

Well good for you, but why make it harder than it needs to be?

--
John Florian