Improving the Fedora boot experience

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Wed Mar 13 14:26:11 UTC 2013

<devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: 03/13/2013 09:47
> Subject: Re: Improving the Fedora boot experience
> Sent by: devel-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 09:34 -0400, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> > > From: Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
> > > I'm sure there were a bunch of sorry whiners
> > > missing verbose text boot scrolling by their screen by default, in
> > > favor of graphical boot.
> >
> > Or perhaps those "whiners" consider themselves responsible employees
> > by being diligent in understanding what "normal and correct" looks
> > like so that they can recognize when something is going south and
> > maybe doing something to avert a crisis before it occurs.
>
> And maybe they are wrong, we'll never know ...

They being the employees or the error messages?  With either answer, I'd
prefer to explain to my boss that I spent time investigating something
that was merely a false alarm than to explain why I cannot now salvage
something that has gone horribly wrong and I didn't do anything about it
because the UX to warn me was unpleasant.

> > I swear that every time I read about how boot (or other) is so
> > unaesthetic I really have to wonder if people are actually using their
> > system as a tool to do work, or if they're merely playing with them as
> > a novelty.  Not that there's anything wrong such play, but please stop
> > trying polish the appearance at the expense of functionality for those
> > who see them only as tool.
> >
> So let me allow to make a parallel.
>
> You go working every day wearing work clothes like these [1] because you
> see them only as a tool and you need to get work done ?
> An obviously caring about appearance as well as functionality or as a
> compromise is wrong, right ?

I have nothing wrong with wanting to make a good appearance, but I will
never put that before function.  As an engineer, I see beauty in function
and capability, not glitter.  If function doesn't have to be compromised,
yeah go to town with the appearance.  As for those work clothes, it would
depend on the job.  If I was to do business presentations, no I wouldn't
want to be caught dead dressed that way.  However, if I was about to jump
in a grease pit and do some seriously dirty work, those look mighty
appealing to me.

--
John Florian