RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Mar 13 14:49:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Why? if we reverted no work would have gone on on the new codebase
>
> That's the whole problem. The Anaconda team cannot manage to develop in a
> branch or trunk which is only put into Rawhide when it's ready.

I've been told the new anaconda was actually developed on a branch,
but merging it back into mainline/rawhide took about two months
because the underlying platform anaconda has started to rely on has
changed too much while the branch was being developed.

This was actually one of the motivations for this proposal - to allow
agreeing on the "base design" == tier 2 == inter-package interfaces,
and enforcing that they are kept working.  In the post-revamp model,
anaconda has the option of asking to add some of the functionality
anaconda relies on in the tier 2 test suite, thus avoiding the
breakage or at least detecting it early enough.
    Mirek