Improving the Fedora boot experience

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 13 16:00:55 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 11:46 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> This brings the question, how do you do your update?

I actually do updates via the package kit nag thing that pops up from
the messaging tray, and I rarely pay attention to the list of packages.
I just don't have the time to bother, and if that's the default
experience (and it is at least for GNOME desktop users) I want to
experience it so I understand it, if that makes sense.

> I know I'm not he average user but I update via yum and one thing I
> always watch out for are kernel update, mostly because it means I'll
> have to reboot my machine sometime after that.
> So when I reboot and something does not come up, I will likely pretty
> quickly reboot on an older kernel to see if that's what has changed (I
> must confess, this is a guess since I don't remember when is the last
> time something broke on one of my machine with a kernel update).

I'm not a great troubleshooter, unfortunately! I'm trying to use Fedora
to design stuff, not to play around with the OS. :)

It's been a really long time since a kernel update broke something on my
system as well. I think the last time might have been around F14, there
had been a kernel update that broke suspend on my Thinkpad x61. A fix
came out shortly after. Anyway, the infrequency of the kernel breaking
me (and maybe we are both really lucky for this) is probably another
reason why I think 'check network manager' before I think 'try another
kernel' for this example situation.

~m