Improving the Fedora boot experience

Jan Dvořák mordae at anilinux.org
Wed Mar 13 17:05:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:52:24 -0400 Mike Pinkerton <pselists at mindspring.com> wrote:
> +  If a user could hold the key down from before power on until the
> boot options menu appeared, then Fedora could still do extremely fast
> booting without presenting the user with a short time interval to
> hit.  If grub finds the keyboard, and detects no "F" key hold down,
> it would continue to boot immediately with no further delay.

There are at least two problems with that:

 *  Holding key over remote VNC console can be problematic,
    especially if the server POSTs slowly.

 *  Holding key on BIOS machines usually results in a long beep
    sound and keyboard lockup.  I never understood why.

And again, I would like to add that servers tend to change video
mode during POST, sometimes even several times.  On some chassis
this results to losing video output for several (think 2) seconds.
That means that even showing a brief [press F for options] sucks.