Improving the Fedora boot experience

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 13 18:33:41 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> A system with a slow boot can be used in many applications. A system
> with a fast boot can be used in all those plus many more.
>
> It's not that hard to see, is it?

Well, yeah, what are the "many more" applications made possible by a
system that saves a couple of seconds per boot?

Also, dropping the boot loader menu might be okay for single-OS systems
(I'm not convinced, but whatever).  What about dual-boot?  If I tell
someone running Windows to try Fedora to see Linux in action, they are
not going to be very happy if, after installing, there's no obvious way
to boot back to their "normal" Windows install.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>