Is there a reason we do not turn on the file system hardlink/symlink protection in Rawhide?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 13 19:04:19 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> said:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:52:37 -0400
> Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> > sysctl -a | grep protected
> > fs.protected_hardlinks = 0
> > fs.protected_symlinks = 0
>
> I apologize for the ignorance - but what do these _do_.
>
> (please don't say they protect your hardlinks and symlinks) - I mean
> what does 'protected' mean in this context.

I remember when these were discussed on linux-kernel, and I thought they
had some fairly small use cases (not really intended for a general
purpose system).  However, that's been a while, so off to Google...

https://lwn.net/Articles/503660/

The symlink bit stops following of symlinks in sticky, world-writable
directories, except when the UID of the symlink and process match, or
when the UID of the symlink and the directory match.  So, user 123 could
create a symlink in /tmp and follow it (but nobody else could), or root
could create a symlink in /tmp that everybody could follow.

I didn't find a detailed description of the hardlink protection right
off, however it did apparently break existing programs, so it was
disabled by default.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>