Improving the Fedora boot experience

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 13 20:12:56 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> said:
> Seems like you are used to slow boots.
> Watch (or even use) a system with non rotating media (i.e SSDs) that
> does not have a ton of crap set up to be started on boot and you will
> notice this "1 or 2 seconds" as significant.

My main home system has an SSD, and I'd be hard-pressed to notice one
second out of the boot process (although I don't reboot it often, since
I just suspend-to-RAM).

I don't find saving 1-2 seconds compelling enough to disable the
end-user from interrupting the boot process to choose alternate kernels,
kernel options, etc.  Unless you have a 100% fail-proof method of
detecting failed boots, you're just setting up a system where a stuck
boot is unrecoverable without additional resources (such as a rescue
CD).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>