Improving the Fedora boot experience

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Mar 13 22:42:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 03:14:01PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> I haven't seen systems that boot in less than 6 seconds (and by "boot" I
> mean power-on to login prompt).  Maybe they exist, but that is not my
> experience with common hardware.

At FOSDEM they demonstrated 2 seconds for kernel + userspace. Userspace
being GDM. The initialization of the presenter took longer than the
kernel+userspace bit, so they had to use a camera to actually show this.
The firmware on that laptop took about 7 seconds. As Lennart mentioned
elsewhere, new laptops must do less than 2 seconds to get that nice
Windows logo, some do 0.5 seconds.

So laptop booting to GDM in 2.5 - 4 seconds after pressing the power
button is realistic.

350MB video of the presentation:
http://video.fosdem.org/2013/maintracks/Janson/systemd,_Two_Years_Later.webm

The demonstration is at the beginning.