Unhelpful update descriptions

Michael Catanzaro mike.catanzaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 14:12:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 22:49 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> So did I, and I think his proposal is an awful idea. (Unfortunately,
> question time at DevConf is always very short, so I didn't get to voice my
> disapproval in the talk.) We are not Window$ (think "patch Tuesday") nor
> RHEL. We're a distribution with "First" as one of its main objectives. Our
> users do not want to wait up to a month for updates! I also don't think such
> huge batches can realistically be tested.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Well this is a really easy one to solve; "update bundling" probably
isn't necessary. Already PackageKit has a setting to control how often
it checks for updates: hourly, daily (default), or weekly. Just add a
monthly option, and change the default to something more sane than daily
(weekly sounds like a better default than daily or monthly?); people who
want faster updates can still get them (not the case if you start
holding updates). That should be really simple.

Alternatively, add a new setting for security updates so that those come
daily by default while other updates are weekly (or monthly or annually
or whatever) by default; not sure how much work that would be, but
PackageKit already distinguishes between security and nonsecurity
updates.