Improving the Fedora boot experience

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 14:17:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 11:52 +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Intentionally dumbing down the system so that even idiots can use it
> will result in *only* idiots using it.

You should tone down your comments a little. Denigrating people who
don't share knowledge about computers at a level similar to yours as
idiots doesn't help your argument at all. In a similar vein, athletes
might call you an unfit cripple if you don't keep up with them, butchers
might deem you a timid wimp if you don't slaughter your own meat and
artists might write you off as a blundering dolt who can't hold a brush
straight if you're just an ordinary person who doesn't paint his own
pictures. See how that doesn't help?

> If you don't want to see boot menu, there is a way to switch it off.

"If you want to see the boot menu, there's a way to switch it on."

It's almost funny how those that can customize want their preferences as
default, to the detriment of those who can't.

You'd have a point if you argued "slippery slope" based on past
performance where stuff was "dumbed down" -- in too many cases,
configuration options vanishing from a UI were almost a death knell for
the functionality behind them. However, power users and developers
should not be the majority of users unless we actively want to keep
Fedora reserved for an "elite" of developers and other IT-afficionados.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty