Fwd: MariaDB replacing MySQL

Norvald H. Ryeng norvald.ryeng at oracle.com
Thu Mar 14 15:52:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:03:18 +0100, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think conflict is actually the main problem -- the inability
>>> of RPM to un-ambigously choose one of the two packages that provide
>>> the same symbol *is* the real problem. If we solved that one,
>>> MySQL-server could provide right symbol and KDE system would be happy.
>>
>> I fully agree that enforcing the default is the main problem. It makes
>> the whole ting very difficult.
>>
>> Package conflict is a problem as soon as packages start depending on one
>> particular server or tools implementation (e.g., akonadi-mysql). If both
>> have the same virtual provide and all packages depend on that instead of
>> a specific implementation, they can be conflicting.
>
> Yeah, but on the other hand, as soon as there are still packages that
> doesn't depend on a specific one (use just mysql or mysql-server) -- we
> need to keep the API the same -- by API I mean name of the systemd unit
> file, utilities names, ...

As I see it, there are two options:

1. Conflicting packages. All dependent packages depend on the virtual
    provide.

2. Non-conflicting, parallel installable packages. Dependent packages
    can depend on the virtual provide or directly on one server
    implementation.

If the servers are conflicting and other packages start depending on
specific servers instead of the virtual provide, users will get into
unnecessary and unresolvable conflicts.

Regards,

Norvald H. Ryeng