Improving the Fedora boot experience

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 21:44:27 UTC 2013

On 14/03/13 01:52 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 14.03.2013 21:50, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>> Well, then update your hardware
>>
>> That effectively means that *virtually all* laptops from 2013 on will
>> POST in ridiculously short times.
>>
>> Really, just go to your computer store, and look for any laptop that is
>> designed for Windows 8
>
> WOW
>
> this is a ridiculus attitude fro a linux-developer
> most of us are using Linux because we DO NOT need
> new hardware each year and you propose ignorance
> of this fact?

No, he didn't.

Can we de-escalate the debate?

Lennart did not really say "Everyone should be running hardware capable
of POST-ing in two seconds or less".

A few people asserted that they'd never seen such hardware, so Lennart
cited some.

The point is not that we must MAKE EVERYONE IN THE WORLD BUY NEW
HARDWARE, it's that there really is hardware out there which POSTs very
quickly and there is likely to be an increasing amount of such hardware
in the future: therefore Lennart's concern with the five seconds spent
at the grub screen is legitimate. His point does not require that
everyone in the world have fast booting hardware, just that such
hardware exist and be likely to become increasingly prevalent. 5 seconds
at grub isn't worth worrying about if the rest of boot can be relied
upon to take 40 seconds, as always used to be the case for just about
everyone, but when there really are systems that can otherwise boot in 3
or 4 seconds, that 5 seconds becomes comparatively significant.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey