Packages requires /sbin/service.

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Mar 15 18:05:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Lukáš Nykrýn <lnykryn at redhat.com> wrote:
> Pá 15. březen 2013, 17:47:05 CET, Kevin Fenzi napsal:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:38:53 +0100
>> Lukáš Nykrýn <lnykryn at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After usr move packages should not install files to /sbin.
>>> Unfortunately there is a lot of packages requiring /sbin/service,
>>> which was recently moved to /usr/sbin/, and these packages were
>>> uninstallable. As a workaround I have put Provides: /sbin/service in
>>> the initscript spec, but I think that we should do a proper fix.
>>>
>>> So if your package is in following list, please change your Reguires
>>> to /usr/sbin/service.
>>

>> To clarify, this affects only f19 and f20, right?
>>
>> So,
>>
>> %if 0%{?rhel} > 6 || 0%{?fedora} > 18
>> Requires: /usr/sbin/service
>> %else
>> Requires: /sbin/service
>> %endif
>>
>> should work as a portable means of doing this?
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Lukas

> Yes this is related to F19 and F20. But my personal opinion is, that
> packages should use systemctl now anyway.

Yes - if you are going to touch the spec file, migrating to native
systemctl makes much more sense.

With the existing /sbin -> /usr/sbin symlinks and the Provides:
/sbin/service, replacing /sbin/service references by /usr/sbin/service
references isn't solving any user-visible problem AFAICS.
    Mirek