Unhelpful update descriptions

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 17 17:59:15 UTC 2013

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> Take Fn-1 - it's almost dead, nearly nobody cares about it anymore
> (as bugfixes/backporting are costly), and I'd say with our ability
> to push security updates... It's non sense to have it as supported
> release.

That's a result of the karma system. Most people have just given up trying
to push updates to Fn-1 because they never get any karma. The people
enthousiastic about giving karma are all running Fn or even Fn+1 (Branched).
Even for (sets of) packages which do get tested (e.g. the KDE 4.10.1 update
group), one has to send mail to mailing lists to remind people to give
karma. Many maintainers are fed up of having to beg for karma each time and
so just give up supporting the release.

This is the same phenomenon that killed Fedora Legacy.

We need to get rid of karma and put power (and trust!) back into the hands
of the maintainers, and Fn-1 will florish again!

        Kevin Kofler