Packages requires /sbin/service.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 17 22:28:14 UTC 2013

Lukáš Nykrýn wrote:
> After usr move packages should not install files to /sbin. Unfortunately
> there is a lot of packages requiring /sbin/service, which was recently
> moved to /usr/sbin/, and these packages were uninstallable. As a
> workaround I have put Provides: /sbin/service in the initscript spec,
> but I think that we should do a proper fix.

Argh, so UsrMove is STILL biting us in the rear!!!

> So if your package is in following list, please change your Reguires to
> /usr/sbin/service.
[list of 91 (!) packages]

And this is going to be (and remain!) a problem for every single binary. The
binary can be found in both /usr/(s)bin and /(s)bin because it's now
actually the same directory, but RPM "thinks" it only lives in either of
them. It's a big mess!

So who still thinks that UsrMove was a good idea???

        Kevin Kofler