Packages requires /sbin/service.

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 00:06:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/3/15 Lukáš Nykrýn <lnykryn at redhat.com>:
>> After usr move packages should not install files to /sbin. Unfortunately
>> there is a lot of packages requiring /sbin/service, which was recently moved
>> to /usr/sbin/, and these packages were uninstallable. As a workaround I have
>> put Provides: /sbin/service in the initscript spec, but I think that we
>> should do a proper fix.
>>
>> So if your package is in following list, please change your Reguires to
>> /usr/sbin/service.
>> rtpproxy
>
> Fixed.

This is a bad, bad, bad idea for any packages that are going to remain
backwards compatible with RHEL, for compilation under EPEL or other
backporting.  Either switch to systemd, or stick with the old location
and allow initscripts to correctly include the old reference. Do not
pick a hallfways "fix" that isn't backwards compatible at all.