dnf installs cron.hourly

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 18 05:31:13 UTC 2013

On 03/17/2013 11:13 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> "Unwanted/non-user-intended network access" => Must be disabled by
>> default and must explicitly activated by user action.
> [snip]
>> I for one consider the approach of background updating to be a
>> conceptionally broken and flawed design, lacking generality and usability.
>
> The same can really be said for ALL cron jobs. They all run some background
> task the user didn't ask for and periodically consuming his/her resources,
> usually when it's the least appropriate.
Depends.

I see a substantial difference between a cron-job working locally only
and cron-jobs triggering dial-outs, or worse, potentially downloading
100s of MBs.

That said, I do not have a problem with local-disk only cron-jobs and
the like (updatedb, smartd etc.).

The performance regressions cron-jobs may cause are a different matter
and IMO, entirely independent problem (They are more an inconvenient
nuisance, but they do not cause immediate material harm, like dial-outs
can do).

Ralf