Packages requires /sbin/service.

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 07:27:47 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 18.03.2013 01:06, schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:

>>> Fixed.
>>
>> This is a bad, bad, bad idea for any packages that are going to remain
>> backwards compatible with RHEL, for compilation under EPEL or other
>> backporting.  Either switch to systemd, or stick with the old location
>> and allow initscripts to correctly include the old reference. Do not
>> pick a hallfways "fix" that isn't backwards compatible at all.
>
> * Fedora has done UsrMove with F17
> * Now we have F18
> * in a short we have F19
> * RHEL7 will be base on F18/F19
>
> ANY reference in Fedora to /sbin and /bin is BOGUS
> it leads to all sorts of troubles
> it leads to additional symlink reslovement

If SysV init style scripts are staying in use, even as a compatibility
fallback, don't edit the references to them just to prove something.
It breaks backporting and forward porting and cross-compatibility for
every existing versoin of RHEL, which are still needed for
compatibility because *systemd can't be ported back to RHEL 6 or
earlier.* I've tried, it's a dependency and critical component upgrade
nightmare.