Overriding template branch when requesting a new branch for a package in Git?

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 19 05:09:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 11:54 +0700, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> When submitting a package change request for a new branch, the new
> branch is currently instantiated with the revision history of the
> master (development) branch.
>
> When the new branch created is for an EPEL release, this might not be
> appropriate -- for instance, I just asked for python-psutil to be
> branched; master is at 0.6.1, el6 is at 0.4.1 and now the new el5
> branch is at 0.6.1.
>
> Is there an interest in an improvement in which one can specify which
> commit (or, simpler but less flexible, which branch head)

This can be just as flexible in most cases: specify a very old branch as
template, and then just merge up to the commit you wanted.

> to use when
> instantiating each particular branch)? (and where should this be filed
> - as a rel-eng request in Trac, presumably)

I think this would be valuable indeed.

However, I'd say the request should be opened in the
fedora-infrastructure trac, as this is the script which processes the
requests:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/fedora-infrastructure.git/tree/scripts/process-git-requests/process-git-requests

--
Mathieu