fedora release name problem

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 08:31:30 UTC 2013

On 19/03/13 01:04 AM, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On 03/19/2013 02:11 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Well, look, my point is that sometimes our commitment to 'fixing things
>> the right way' appears to verge on bloody masochism.
>>
> <snip>
>> If we have to compromise on just papering it over for Alpha, I mean,
>> _fine_. But seriously: sometimes papering it over is just the right
>> thing to do.
>
> I disagree.  This particular problem points out a problem that is only
> going to become more of a problem as the internationalization of
> software increases.  Not everything is ASCII or English, and not
> defensively programming for such cases is short-sighted.
>
> Perhaps we are getting "burned out" by the hectic pace that Fedora tries
> to keep with a six-month release cycle.  I know I sat out a lot of the
> 18 cycle due to a sense of being overwhelmed by the rush.

I don't object at all to fixing UTF-8 issues, but it seems needlessly
stressful to force ourselves to do so as a part of release validation,
with booby traps exploding all around us. It's the kind of thing that
can easily be worked on in a less stressful manner. Instead of using the
development method 'let's break it now in our main product and fix stuff
as we happen across it', how about the development method 'let's not
break our main product for now, let's let people who want to hack on it
do so as a side stream, and then when they think they have fixed the
most important issues, _then_ they can propose putting the disruptive
change into the main product'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey