fedora release name problem

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 10:38:20 UTC 2013

On 19 March 2013 08:04, G.Wolfe Woodbury <redwolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/19/2013 02:11 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Well, look, my point is that sometimes our commitment to 'fixing things
>> the right way' appears to verge on bloody masochism.
>>
> <snip>
>> If we have to compromise on just papering it over for Alpha, I mean,
>> _fine_. But seriously: sometimes papering it over is just the right
>> thing to do.
>
> I disagree.  This particular problem points out a problem that is only
> going to become more of a problem as the internationalization of
> software increases.  Not everything is ASCII or English, and not
> defensively programming for such cases is short-sighted.

This is conflating an issue that affects the release name and issues
related to it to internationalisation in general. I see that fixes are
being worked on for this issue, but it also seems it can't be
guaranteed that there are no further problems it will cause right now
and holding up the release for what is basically a triviality seems a
bit silly.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk