fedora release name problem

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 19 11:23:10 UTC 2013

Le Mar 19 mars 2013 09:31, Adam Williamson a écrit :

> I don't object at all to fixing UTF-8 issues, but it seems needlessly
> stressful to force ourselves to do so as a part of release validation,
> with booby traps exploding all around us. It's the kind of thing that
> can easily be worked on in a less stressful manner.

And Fedora switched to UTF-8 by default when exactly (was it even Fedora
or a RHL decision)? The less stressful manner seems to have failed utterly
here, at some point some problems only get fixed (and not procastinated
indefinitely) when software breaks.

Moreover, experience shows any python tool (and we have tons of them
system-side) will break on UTF-8 by default. And that python devs do not
remember to test this case. Therefore, I doubt the problem could be
realistically detected and fixed before branching point.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot