fedora release name problem

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Tue Mar 19 11:49:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 23:56 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Could we consider change release name from "Schrödinger's Cat" to
> "Schrodingers Cat" or other name that not have this additional
> problem ?

In my opinion, it makes sense to distinguish between code and content.

When compared with 10-15 years ago, it's my perception that most
applications that nowadays process user visible content are able to deal
with international characters. This is a great advancement.

However, code is usually limited to ASCII. We cannot use Umlauts in
variable names in most programming languages. It's no surprise to me
that many programmer tools have similar limitation.

The Fedora release name is part of the code, and also used by programmer
or administrative tools to process it. What we are facing here is the
question: "Are we ready to introduce non-ASCII characters into the code
and tool level?".

It seems like the answer is "not yet".

While I agree it cannot hurt to be able to support umlauts and special
characters everywhere, supporting it at the code and tool level seems
like a challenge, as we are learning. I don't agree to that argument
that it must be fixed immediately, because it's not required to
correctly process user visible content.

And if you are looking for a more formal justification:

"Consistently support international and special characters in Fedora
release tools" sounds like a Fedora Feature to me. But we are already
past the Feature Freeze date. So, if you would like to see this as a
priority, then propose to make it a future Fedora Feature and offer to
work on it. But for this round, it seems too late.

I'd like to propose a compromise for the release name.

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat I'm learning
that Schrödinger was Austrian. Austria uses German language.

The german equivalent of "Schrödinger's Cat" is "Schrödingers Katze". No
apostrophe is being used here.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dingers_Katze

And it's quite common to replace the ö umlaut with oe, for example in
email addresses.

Because of the above, I propose that we use the following string for the
Fedora 19 release name:

Schroedingers Katze

Regards
Kai