fedora release name problem

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Tue Mar 19 14:33:41 UTC 2013

Kai Engert wrote:
> The Fedora release name is part of the code

Is it? What is its technical function then? What would break if two
releases were to have the same name but different numbers? Are programs
supposed to compare release names to determine which release they're
looking at? All comparisons I've seen have used the number, not the
name.

There have been discussions about dropping release names. The argument
for that seemed to be that the name has no function and is mostly a
waste of time. If the name were part of the code, then dropping it
would have required code changes left and right.

As I understand it Fedora has release names because people like to see
them displayed in various places. That means they are user-visible
content.

Björn Persson