fedora release name problem

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 16:35:37 UTC 2013

On 19/03/13 08:30 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2013 14:33, <John.Florian at dart.biz
> <mailto:John.Florian at dart.biz>> wrote:
>  >
>  > > From: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com
> <mailto:rjones at redhat.com>>
>  > >
>  > > An interesting question is:  Why don't we try out the new release name
>  > > early on in Rawhide.  ie. we would change the release name now to
>  > > whatever F20 is going to be + " (Rawhide)".  Wouldn't that give us a
>  > > lot more time to test and fix?
>  >
>  > That seems like a great idea ... and it also adds in a test for
> handling parenthesis.  I can't imagine how they'd pose a problem, but
> clearly nobody foresaw this train coming either.
>
> Err the fedora 19 voting for names started around the release of F18
> alpha. Its been set as this for around 6 months already, I suspect its
> only become an issue with people starting to create images etc.

It isn't applied anywhere till branch. Rawhide always uses the release
name 'Rawhide'. Even though it's voted on a long way ahead of time, the
new release name is only applied in the tree at branch time. Several
people were using Rawhide considerably in advance of branching -
including myself - and the problems showed up right when we branched and
the new fedora-release package was rolled.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey