Yum plugin for prioritize providers [was Re: Fwd: MariaDB replacing MySQL]

Norvald H. Ryeng norvald.ryeng at oracle.com
Wed Mar 20 15:48:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:56:04 +0100, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/18/2013 07:17 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> I'm not following the MySQL/mariadb packaging discussion in full

I would like non-conflicting libraries as well.

>> This does sound much simpler, IMO.
>
> It does, but it would be hard to install MySQL in case any package
> requries mariadb, since the two packages conflict. And making the
> packages non-conflicting doesn't seem so simple -- it would mean to
> change location of the binaries or change their file-names, which would
> mean quite a lot of patching. But generally, if we find a way how to
> make the packages to be usable and non-conflicting, it could work fine.

I would also like to have non-conflicting packages. I don't think changing
the names of the binaries would be that much work, but there are config
files, scripts that refer to the binaries, etc. It's some work, but I
think it's doable. And it would solve much of our headache. At least, I
think it's worth considering.

Regards,

Norvald H. Ryeng