aarch64 bugs

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 10:35:26 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 04:12 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>
>> Eventually there will be hardware available but I'm not sure when
>> that will be as there's not been anything publicly announced.
>> Ultimately we're very much in the prep stages for a mass rebuild of
>> Fedora for aarch64 when we eventually get actual HW, at the moment a
>> build of something like gcc takes days.
>
> Days to build gcc? Wow.

The current emulated HW runs at around 200mhz or something horribly slow.

> OpenSUSE managed to build the entire distribution without any hardware.
> Definitely not a trivial task.
>
> http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/cross-distro/2013-March/000425.html

OpenSUSE don't do native compiles with OBS. They use distcc or
something like that to cross compile some of their architectures. It
was developed as part of the Intel/Nokia MeeGo use of OBS. Fedora has
a requirement of native builds. Stage1/2 of a Fedora platform bring up
can be cross compiled but we're now into stage 3 which is native
builds. Fedora also has over double the amount of source packages to
OpenSUSE and we're working with upstream to get fixes upstream (both
Fedora mainline upstream and projects upstream) as we go rather than
forking and fixing later all of which ends up being more time
consuming in the short term but less overall.

Peter

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/AArch64