New cfitsio 3.330 in Rawhide and F19 (take 2)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 11:33:35 UTC 2013

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 04:20:15 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Sergio Pascual wrote:
> > Oh great. I didn't thought that a link from libcfitsio-3.330.so.0 to
> > libcfitsio.so would work.
> > I have changed it now. The soname is (finally) libcfitsio-3.330.so.0, the
> > library is libcfitsio-3.330.so.0 and is linked to libcfitsio.so
>
> But WHY?
>
> How is that better than libcfitsio.so.3.330, which is standard versioning?

"Standard" versioning is not beneficial here at all. As explained before,
here the full version is part of the SONAME. Not just the major version.
libcfitsio.so.3.330 would be incompatible with libcfitsio.so.3.340 as
mentioned in a later post by Sergio (on 2013-03-22) already. There is
no common libcfitsio.so.3 that would be downward compatible.

> The version goes after .so, not before it, unless you want to have it also
> in the symlink, which you explicitly DON'T want here.

Why not? It would even have been okay to name the run-time lib
libcfitsio-3.330.so with the implicit opportunity to use the same file
as the build-time lib. That would even make it possible to ship multiple
releases of cfitsio, since with a non-versioning build-time lib, multiple
-devel packages would conflict in their .so symlink (if that one is used).

> I know that going back and forth sucks (as everything will have to be
> rebuilt AGAIN), but I think you should really should change this back (and
> you should never have changed it from .so.3.330 to -3.330.so.0 in the first
> place).

Either naming version would require rebuilds of dependencies for version
changes. So, why bother?

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc3.git1.3.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.14 0.38 0.24