Is there a reason we do not turn on the file system hardlink/symlink protection in Rawhide?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Mar 24 13:19:19 UTC 2013

Am 24.03.2013 04:08, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> BTW determining this accurately should be fairly doable[1].  Just look
>> for symlink() and link() calls (and recursively through wrapper APIs /
>> language bindings).  These syscalls are fairly rare.
>
> That checks for PROGRAMS which run into this. It catches neither admin's
> custom scripts nor ln commands run directly by the users. Who knows on how
> many machines manually created symlinks point to inodes owned by different
> users?

maybe you guys should read what the protection does
how many directories except /tmp are world-writeable and have STICKY bit?

fs.protected_symlink
symlinks to only be followed when outside a sticky world-writable directory

fs.protected_hardlinks
blocks hardlinks to other people's WORLD-READABLE files if you can't write to them