package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 12:30:00 UTC 2013

On 28. 3. 2013 at 12:59:44, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 28.3.2013 12:09, Florian Festi napsal(a):
> > This is done to make life easier for package maintainers.
>
> Sorry, you definitely not speak for me! This are just excuses. And I
> asked already several times to have some way to reliable support
> multiple version of packages without mangling their names.

Víťo,
I certainly understand your frustration, as it comes from talking about this
topic over and over again. However Ruby community is a *very* special case in
this regard and I'd like to treat it as such.

If you want, we can start a discussion here. But if we do, let's keep the
discussion strictly constructive and just about *technical* problems. Let's
not take this to design level of things, as Ruby and Fedora are two completely
different worlds that will never be fully compatible by design. Therefore the
final solution (if there is any) has to be some sort of compromise.

Thanks
Jan