package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 15:36:27 UTC 2013

Dne 28.3.2013 14:06, Florian Festi napsal(a):
> On 03/28/2013 12:59 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Dne 28.3.2013 12:09, Florian Festi napsal(a):
>>> This is done to make life easier for package maintainers.
>> Sorry, you definitely not speak for me! This are just excuses. And I
>> asked already several times to have some way to reliable support
>> multiple version of packages without mangling their names.
> * Build your package not to use any global location
> * Use rpm -i to install specific versions
> * Add the package name to the exclude option in yum.conf
> * Be happy
>
> Florian

<sarcasm>
Ah, are we going to distribute this howtos instead of binary RPM's now?
It is 4 easy steps, everybody can handle it. May be we could convert
whole distribution into bunch of how-tos. It would be nice, because
how-to cannot have broken dependency for example.
</sarcasm>

But please, Florian, seriously, I know all that. But still, that is not
solution which fits everybody. People would need at least some level of
understanding how things work. I want provide to all potential users all
the software available, no matter what version of library it uses. It
has to work using packagekit or yum. I can handle more work with
packaging, but I must have appropriate tools for that.

Yes, there is my famous case with multiple versions of Ruby libraries,
but there are other examples from other peoples in this thread and on
other places. Please, let me to do my packaging right, i.e. use name and
version as they are intended and don't abuse package for some deficiency
in RPM and YUM.

Thank you.

Vít