package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

juanmabc juanmabcmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 00:38:41 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:
>I'm not sure that 'fixing' it provides any significant benefit other than
>looking tidy in pontificating emails. I mean, what's the actual problem caused
>by 'gnome-desktop' vs. 'gnome-desktop3'?

I think its clear, and also seems clear there is not much willing to
code/improve anything if it can be avoided.

Both are the same package, only changes major version, if from the start
multiversion would have been integrated, nobody would have think about it
another way.

>That's a very trivial difference; it barely exists. The hyphen isn't
> some kind of magical character for RPM, so the difference between 'pkg2'
> and 'pkg-2' is entirely aesthetic.

I guess this goes as aesthetic as writing in CAPS in emails, having
grammatical errors in writing, wrong spoken pronunciation, etc. just points
it's not correct and hence should be fixed. "I write this wrong but the
difference is aesthetic" is well, wrong. Correctness, smartness matters. Plus i
feel the user experience at installing stuff would improve.

By the way the main package is still pkg not pkg-1 or pkg-2, though some
method of listing pkg would raise pkg-1 and pkg-2, so you can install. So, I'm
not sure you got the point of the hyphens there.

Again: pkg2-2.0.0.rpm, no sense.