package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Fri Mar 29 12:15:53 UTC 2013

On 29. 3. 2013 at 11:02:11, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 14:43 -0400, James Antill wrote:

> > > My point is: "First step to find technical solution for some issue is
> > > admit that there is some issue".
> >
> >  I agree this is a problem, everyone who knows how Fedora packaging
> >
> > works has said, to you, some variant of:
> >  The technical problem is being able to install multiple versions of a
> >
> > package, and you can do that now (and have been able to for the last 10
> > years).
> >
> >  Here is a long list of technical reasons why your desire to have all
> >
> > the parallel installable versions of "foo" called "foo" is not going to
> > work.
>
> I can imagine only one reason for this desire - so that the user can do
> just "yum install foo" when he just wants the latest version of "foo".

In this case we proposed another solution which was turned down (I'm not sure
exactly why):

Each package requiring multiversion support would have all these versions
almost the same as they are right now. The only difference would be that there
is a metapackage pointing at all time to the latest version.

Example:
python-3.2.3-7.fc17       (metapackage)
python2-2.7.3-7.2.fc17
python3-3.2.3-7.fc17

Metapackage "python" could be pointing to whatever version the maintainer
thinks is the best, obviously the version of the metapackage would correspond
with the version of package it points to. Update path is clearly defined and
user can do both "yum install python" and "yum update python" without any
confusion.

Thanks
Jan