package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Fri Mar 29 12:55:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-28, Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 28. 3. 2013 at 13:31:07, Petr Pisar wrote:
>> E.g. this post has been sent to <icecast-dev at xiph.org> an hour ago:
>> > Subject: Re: [Icecast-dev] Packages of icecast 2.4-beta?

>> > That is sadly a typical problem with most distributions.  I wonder
>> > what would be a good way to handle this gracefully.
[...]
> I actually see this as an argument for keeping things as they are. If
> you have a package in beta, not ready for production use, you should
> distinctly differentiate it from the production one you have on the
> system.

Question was not how to distinguish. Question was how to serve both
versions.

I you think this is imaginary problem, see Xorg. Now you have prerelease
in F19 and F20. And yes, it has (a little bit) broken SDL.

>> Or we see for more than a month a broken dependency between
>> perl-Math-Clipper (Perl binding) and clipper (C++ library) because
>> clipper has changed API, there is no new perl-Math-Clipper yet and even
>> if it was, it would break API with libraries and applications using
>> perl-Math-Clipper.
>
> This is very valid concern. However I'm not sure it's something that
> can be solved just by the multiversion support in rpm/yum, there are
> more pieces here to be put together.
>
> My first impression of this is that someone screwed up - either
> upstrem by breaking API or maintainer by pushing the update without
> consulting stakeholders beforehand. Again I don't beleive multiversion
> support can solely solve this problem, can it?

In my opinion multiversion is solution. From practial as well as
theoretical point of view. You cannot dismiss reality just by blaming
insufficient communication. Have you seen GTK or Python?

I do not expect everybody will utilize multiversion once it will be
available. But it's really pain to live without it when it's needed.

-- Petr