config.guess/config.sub for aarch64 (was Re: Mass Rebuild for Fedora 19)

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Fri Mar 29 14:27:24 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-29, Frantisek Kluknavsky <fkluknav at redhat.com> wrote:
> What is the right course of action expected from every affected
> packager? Add autoreconf -vfi and defer contacting upstream until we
> are competent?

If a package uses autotools and bundles old config.sub/guess which does
not support aarch64, then the package does not build for sure.

My experience is not all packages can be cured by running `autoreconf
-fi'. E.g. the package does not use Automake at all. So there are other
means how to fix the package.

I tested my fixes following: After preping sources, I greped all
config.subs for aarch64. If all were positive, I knew the fix was
successfull.

I did not contact upstream because In my opinion there will be a lot of
new releases until Fedora will be able to mass-build for aarch64 and
thus upstream will have plenty of time to update autotools iself.

However if want to be proactive, you can ask upstream to updated
autotools files for recent enough version.

-- Petr