package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Mar 29 21:59:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> wrote:

> >  Here is a long list of technical reasons why your desire to have all
> > the parallel installable versions of "foo" called "foo" is not going to
> > work.
>
> I can imagine only one reason for this desire - so that the user can do
> just "yum install foo" when he just wants the latest version of "foo".

That is a reasonably valid desire (well, "the preferred version", not
necessarily "the latest version"), and we can already handle it well today
- look at the "python" package that is actually Python 2.x, and look how it
Provides: python2.

Sadly
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Multiple_packages_with_the_same_base_namedoesn't
currently require this behavior - Vít tried to have the guideline
amended and FPC refused (I haven't read the detailed rationale so I won't
comment on it further).

However, note that this has _nothing_ to do with parallel installable
versions: We want (yum install foo) to install a specific version of foo,
not all versions of foo.
    Mirek